“Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny”-Steve Maraboli
In order to reach your full potential, it is vital to let go of individuals who no longer serve a positive purpose in your life.
Not everyone is meant to be an integral part of your long term circle. Certain people will not make it to the top with you.
If you were asked the question of why an individual is in your life, could you answer? Do they make you better? What do they bring to the table? Do they support you? Do they add value? What commonalities do you share? What are your mutual interest, goals, and lifestyle choices? Are they on the journey to becoming the best version of themselves?
The relationships you choose to invest your time and energy into, ultimately will make or break you. A major shift takes place in your life when you learn to let go of relationships (romantic, non-romantic, friendships etc) that no longer serve a positive purpose in you life.
Your relationships should help you succeed in whatever it is that you desire to achieve in life.
How to Know When it is Time to “Let Go”
“When people show you who they are believe them”-Maya Angelou
It is time to let go, when you realize the relationship is hindering you from becoming the best version of yourself.
- Your conversations are the same that they were three years ago. A lot can happen in three years. People CHANGE in a year, in a season, in a month.
- They take away more ENERGY than they give. There should be a balance. You should not be the only one giving time, energy, support, and/or resources.
- Your gut tells you. Certain things will start to feel unnatural, irritating or FORCED. (Trust your intuition)
- You feel STAGNANT and cannot see any growth in that relationship.
- You start to feel that an individual is in some sort of secret COMPETITION with you. (This one can be tricky because it takes time to notice. But, pay attention to the signs)
- They no longer understand the person you are or who you are BECOMING.
- They CONSISTENTLY do not match your effort or reciprocate in any way.
It is extremely hard to make room for the people who NEED to be in your life when you are still holding on to individuals who should not be allowed to consume your time and energy.
It’s totally okay to build and create new relationships that inspire you to become the best version of yourself.
Your new relationships may not always be around people who look like you, talk like you or think like you. BUT, that is exactly what you need to expand your horizon. GROWTH requires different insights, different mindsets, different suggestions and different perspectives.
The Outcome of “Letting Go”
- You start to feel more connected to your PASSION and purpose
- You VALUE yourself differently and make smarter choices
- You make room for individuals you should INVEST in
- You save TIME and energy
- You feel more INSPIRED and energized
- You become HAPPIER
- You will start to DISCOVER new things about your true self